9 Healthy Choices for Cholesterol Control
1. Vitamin D and calcium supplements can improve your lipid profile.
Dr. Joseph Mercola, “The Importance of Vitamin D for Normalizing Your Cholesterol Levels
.” Mercola. April 14, 2014.
2. Combining Welchol (Colesevelam) with diet and exercise can lower your bad low-density lipoprotein (LDL) cholesterol.
“What is Welchol?
3. Research indicates that added sucrose and high-fructose corn syrup contribute to heart disease more than saturated fat.
Renata Trister, D.O., “Cholesterol Conundrum
.” Vernon Integrative Medicine Group.
4. Soybeans are rich in soluble fiber and isoflavones, which reduce cholesterol levels.
Aurora Geib, “10 Amazing Diet Secrets to Lower Cholesterol Naturally
.” Natural News
. June 8, 2014.
5. The pectin soluble fiber in oranges forms a gooey mass in your stomach that traps cholesterol and carries it out of your body before your bloodstream can absorb it.
Ben Ince, “How to Reduce Cholesterol
.” Men’s Fitness
. April 3, 2014.
6. Strawberries can decrease bad LDL cholesterol and triglyceride levels significantly.
Plataforma SINC, “Strawberries Lower Cholesterol, Study Suggests
.” Science Daily
. Feb. 14, 2014.
7. Jogging, running and aerobics can lower lousy LDL cholesterol by 5 to 10 percent and raise healthy HDL by 3 to 6 percent.
Jennifer Moll, PharmD, “Which Exercise Routine Is Best to Lower Cholesterol?
” About. May 20, 2014.
8. Moderate-intensity walking, walk-jogging, cycling or swimming for three to four hours per week can reduce total cholesterol by 10 to 20 percent after 12 to 16 weeks.
Ralph La Forge, M.S., “Managing Cholesterol with Exercise
.” Ace Fitness.
9. Revise your cholesterol-management approach if you notice xanthomas, small yellowish bumps on your skin that indicate your blood fat levels are too high.
“Xanthomas — Causes and Treatment Options
.” Skin Site.